What I was feeling- When I met Tom Buchanan.
Immediately
I was powerless. Walking into Tom's household was threatening and unwelcoming.
He took pride in things. He loved to show off and make everyone else feel so
trivial. As soon as I entered his household, I realized my visit was more of a 'show and tell' than it was a time to talk and catch up. I can now understand why he was so feared and despised. In a way I feel bad for him. Underneath his
frightening figure is a man who really is falling apart at the seams. Not only
is he cheating on his wife, but his wife also ends up cheating on him. I feel
that as I get to know him, I am able to see his more vulnerable side. It’s hard
to choose if I like him or not because he was having an affair that caused him
to cheat on my own cousin! From another view though, it’s impossible not to
feel sorry for Tom because he really isn't as threatening as he seems to
be.
Nick my boy, something that you need to understand is that this is how the world works, and it has worked this way for centuries. Why my great great grandfather probably had 3 wives! But women by nature are not able to properly keep multiple romantic relationships going. That's why they're in charge of the household. I see in retrospect now that it's also why Myrtle needed to die in the end. She could not be married and have an affair because she was a woman. It simply wasn't possible for her, and she lost all senses and ran in front of the first thing she saw that could kill her. Overall, Daisy was in the wrong here. She needs to see that the past is the past and I'm the only thing she needs now. I'm the good guy here, believe me.
ReplyDelete~Tom (Megan)